Volunteer - Jimmy (featured box)


We care for more than 8,000 animals annually and couldn't do it without our incredible volunteers!

Foodbarrel Dog And Cat

Food Donations

Support dogs and cats in need with a donation of pet food!

Animal Welfare and Safety

Safety First

Information for pets and wild animals

Keeping animals safe in our community is a big job - and it requires a big team! The following agencies provide support for animal welfare concerns in our community. Please review the list below to help direct you to the appropriate agency.

 Animal Safety Resources

  • Animal Control - Reporting Cruelty and Neglect

    Reports for animal welfare concerns including: negligence, abuse, noise violations and "loose" animals should be reported by contacting one of the following (please contact the agency responsible for appropriate jurisdiction)

    City of Vancouver and unincorporated Clark County:

    Clark County Animal Protection & Control - Provides animal control services for the unincorporated areas of Clark County as well as the City of Vancouver. 
    Concerns/Reports - 564.397.2488
    Licensing - 564.394.2489

    Animal complaints and concerns for other Clark County cities:

    Camas/Washougal Animal Control - 360.835.9701
    Battle Ground Animal Control - 360.342.5100
    Yacolt Town Hall - 360.686.3922
    Ridgefield Police Department - 360.687.3556
    La Center Police Department - 360.263.2745

  • Emergency Veterinarian Services

    If your pet is experiencing an urgent or emergency medical issue, please contact your family vet or visit your nearest emergency veterinary center. Click below for list of local animal hospitals offering emergency care services.

    Emergency Clinics

  • Wild Animals

    If you have captured wild animal do not bring the animal to HSSW. The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife handles all questions and concerns pertaining to non-domesticated wild animals. The Department also maintains a list of licensed trappers in Clark County for nuisance wildlife.

    Washington State Department of Fish and Wildlife - 360.696.6211
    Licensed Trappers in Clark County

    Animal Help Now is another resource which directs users to the closest and most appropriate resource to respond to wild animal concerns.

    For urgent or emergency reports of wild animals, contact your local animal control officers.

  • Live Traps

    HSSW is unable to provide live traps. For pricing and rental of live traps, please contact: 

    Orchards Feed Store - 360.892.3001
    Park Rose Hardware - 360.693.7881 (East Vancouver) or 360.433.0855 (Vancouver Heights)

  • Poison Control

    The ASPCA Poison Control website - or 888.426.4435 - is a resource for any animal poison-related emergency, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Contact them if you think your pet may have ingested a potentially poisonous substance.

  • Horses

    Programs of the Executive Horse Council - or 503.780.4402 - include Ripley’s Horse Aid and Adopt-a-Horse program. The voucher program provides temporary financial assistance to horse owners. Visit their website or contact them for a list of included services. 

    Lost and found horses, call Brand Inspector and Animal Protection and Control: Ron Balkowitsch - 360.600.3166 or [email protected]

  • Bees

    Clark County Beekeepers Association provides information and education primarily to hobby beekeepers and to the general public. It serves as a resource for those interested in developing and maintaining honey bee colonies and responds to reports of honey bee swarms and requests for swarm removal. 

    General Info - [email protected]
    Swarm report/removal - 360.518.0787 or 360.573.8330 or 360.573.0985

  • Rabies Concerns

    The Clark County Health Department - or 360.397.8182 - assesses risk of rabies exposure. While all animal-to-human bites need to be reported directly to the jurisdictional animal control agency, contact the Health Department for animal testing and treatment recommendations from contact with bats or other possible carriers.

  • Deceased Animals

    The road department is responsible for removal of deceased animals other than cats or dogs in Clark County. Animal Control will pick up deceased cats and dogs in Clark County and all other deceased animals within the city of Vancouver.

    Dogs and cats (or all animals in Vancouver)
    Clark County Animal Protection & Control - 360.397.2488

    Reports other than dogs/cats
    Clark County Department of Public Works - 360.397.2446


Still don't see what you're looking for? Send us a message.