Our work wouldn't be possible without our incredible volunteers! Join us and make a lifesaving difference.

A white dog running with a ball


Your next family member awaits! Meet the dogs, cats, puppies, kittens, and rabbits.

Two black dogs on green grass

Safety First

Information for pets and wild animals

Keeping animals safe in our community is a big job - and it requires a big team! The following agencies provide support for animal welfare concerns in our community. Please review the list below to help direct you to the appropriate agency.

Reporting Animal Neglect and Welfare Concerns

In Clark County, stray animal field services and welfare checks are managed by municipal services. Please review the information below to find your local animal control agency. 

  • Animal Protection and Control Services

    Animal welfare concerns including: negligence, abuse, noise violations, and lost/stray animals should be reported to the agency responsible that jurisdiction. Please see below.

    City of Vancouver and unincorporated Clark County

    Clark County Animal Protection & Control - Provides animal control services for the unincorporated areas of Clark County as well as the City of Vancouver. 
    Concerns/Reports - 564.397.2488
    Licensing - 564.394.2489

    Animal concerns in other Clark County cities and jursidictions

    Camas/Washougal Animal Control - 360.835.9701
    Battle Ground Animal Control - 360.342.5100
    Yacolt Town Hall - 360.686.3922
    Ridgefield Police Department - 360.887.3556
    La Center Police Department - 360.263.2745

    I Paw'd it Forward

    I Paw'd if Forward is nonprofit organization that provides support for lost and found pet services and adoptable pets in the greater Clark County area. They offer trapping and tracking for lost dogs, chip scanning, on-call support, help reunite lost pets with their families, and more. They partner with both HSSW and Clark County Animal Control to help ensure our community is safe for pets in need. You can learn more about their services at ipawditforward.org.

    Animal emergencies

    For emergency concerns or support, please dial 311.

Animal Safety Resources

  • July 4th Safety

    For most of us, July 4th is about time with family and friends, backyard parties, and (like it or not) fireworks! Even if you don’t live near professional fireworks events, chances are you’ll still have some booms and pops in your neighborhood and that can be stressful for pets. Here are some tips from our team to help your pets cope:

    • Bring pets into the most interior room in your house, away from doors and windows. Give them a place to hide, whether that’s behind your legs, in a crate, under furniture, or in a cozy cave you create with blankets and pillows
    • Make it a movie night, and muffle the noise with the TV turned up
    • If your pet is a flight risk, be sure to contain them securely and safely in a room or crate where they cannot escape
    • If practical, travel out of town with your pet to an area that may have fewer fireworks
    • Prior to the event, seek your veterinarian’s advice for medication if your pet’s fear is extreme and causes them discomfort and anxiety

    Plan Ahead

    Don’t wait until it’s too late. Prepare for the potential your pet could become separated from you. Ensure your pets have up-to-date identification like ID tags and microchips. You can microchip your pet with your family vet or at a number of clinics in our community including mobile clinics with Good Neighbor Vet. If your pet escapes, begin your search right away and file a lost pet report with us and find more lost pet resources at hssw.org/lost-found.

  • Emergency Veterinarian Services

    If your pet is experiencing an urgent or emergency medical issue, please contact your family vet or visit your nearest emergency veterinary center. Click below for list of local animal hospitals offering emergency care services.

    Emergency Clinics

  • Wild Animals

    If you have captured wild animal do not bring the animal to HSSW. The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife handles all questions and concerns pertaining to non-domesticated wild animals. The Department also maintains a list of licensed trappers in Clark County for nuisance wildlife.

    Washington State Department of Fish and Wildlife - 360.696.6211
    Licensed Trappers in Clark County

    Animal Help Now is another resource which directs users to the closest and most appropriate resource to respond to wild animal concerns.

    For urgent or emergency reports of wild animals, contact your local animal control officers.

  • Poison Control

    The ASPCA Poison Control website - or 888.426.4435 - is a resource for any animal poison-related emergency, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Contact them if you think your pet may have ingested a potentially poisonous substance.

  • Horses

    Programs of the Executive Horse Council - or 503.780.4402 - include Ripley’s Horse Aid and Adopt-a-Horse program. The voucher program provides temporary financial assistance to horse owners. Visit their website or contact them for a list of included services. 

    Lost and found horses, call Brand Inspector and Animal Protection and Control: Ron Balkowitsch - 360.600.3166 or [email protected]

  • Bees

    Clark County Beekeepers Association provides information and education primarily to hobby beekeepers and to the general public. It serves as a resource for those interested in developing and maintaining honey bee colonies and responds to reports of honey bee swarms and requests for swarm removal. 

    General Info - [email protected]
    Swarm report/removal - 360.518.0787 or 360.573.8330 or 360.573.0985

  • Rabies Concerns

    The Clark County Health Department - or 360.397.8182 - assesses risk of rabies exposure. While all animal-to-human bites need to be reported directly to the jurisdictional animal control agency, contact the Health Department for animal testing and treatment recommendations from contact with bats or other possible carriers.

  • Deceased Animals

    The road department is responsible for removal of deceased animals other than cats or dogs in Clark County. Animal Control will pick up deceased cats and dogs in Clark County and all other deceased animals within the city of Vancouver.

    Dogs and cats (or all animals in Vancouver)
    Clark County Animal Protection & Control - 360.397.2488

    Reports other than dogs/cats
    Clark County Department of Public Works - 360.397.2446

Still don't see what you're looking for? Send us a message.