We care for more than 8,000 animals annually and couldn't do it without our incredible community of 500 volunteers! From animal care and enrichment, to administrative support, assisting with adoptions, or lending a hand at ReTails Thrift Store our volunteers make an enormous difference in completing families every day.
Available Volunteer Positions
Volunteers are recruited based on specific needs, and these needs vary over time. Our community loves animals, and we frequently receive more requests to volunteer than we have positions available.
Volunteer opportunities come in lots of shapes and sizes. We currently have openings in the following areas:
- Dog walking
- Cat Care
- Laundry & Dishes
Whether you're looking for hands-on time with the animals or opportunities to support the work of HSSW in another way, you can make a difference as a volunteer!
Our foster volunteers are very special! They open up their hearts and homes to animals who need placement outside the shelter environment. Animals may require foster for a number of reasons. They could be kittens and puppies in need of a home to help them learn about being a family pet, an animal with special medical needs, or simply an animal who would do better in a home environment while they wait to meet their new family.
ReTails Thrift Store
ReTails is more than just a thrift store, it's an experience! ReTails is the destination for clothing bargains, vintage items, home furnishings, holiday decor and so much more. But we can only do it with the help of our incredible volunteers!
We have immediate openings in the following volunteer positions:
- Department Specialists provide customer service and assist with sorting, repairing and organizing merchandise in one of ReTails many departments which include Apparel, Books, Linens, Electronics, Kitchen, Garden, Holiday, Jewelry, and more.
- ReTails Greeters ensure customers feel welcome, answer questions, and provide directions and information.
- Merchandising Volunteers assist with merchandise intake, sorting, and pricing. Volunteer shifts and qualifications vary based on the assignment.
If you're interested in joining our volunteer team and making a difference in the lives of the animals, we're ready to welcome you to our team!
To volunteer at HSSW, you must:
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- Be able to commit to a six-month term with two hours of service per week.
- Meet the requirements and scheduling availability for your chosen volunteer position.
- Complete all required training prior to starting your volunteer service.
If you meet the requirements above and are ready to join us as a volunteer, click the link below. Please complete the questionnaire including contact information, areas of interest and special skills. If you are a new user, you'll need to create an account.
We think Volunteering at HSSW is a great way to help animals in need. We're not the only ones! Hear from some HSSW volunteers about why they give their time and talent to support the animals.
Video courtesy of Cole McLester Productions.
An Award Winning Volunteer Program
HSSW is pleased to be certified by Points of Light, the world’s largest organization dedicated to volunteer service, as a Service Enterprise!
Achieving Service Enterprise certification is a prestigious accomplishment for an organization. In fact, organizations that certify join the top 11 percent of nonprofits nationwide in volunteer management and organizational performance. Certification signifies that organizations have the capability and management expertise to strategically utilize volunteers to improve the performance of their organization. HSSW is proud to be the only certified Service Enterprise in the Pacific Northwest.
Thank you to our friends at Columbia River Veterinary Specialists.